Bio-Ferra is Cyto-Matrix's innovative liquid iron supplement. Similar to the body's own Ferritin molecule, this polysaccharide-iron complex provides optimal delivery of iron to the body while significantly reducing negative side effects and safety concerns commonly associated with iron supplements. This advanced liquid formulation is pleasant-tasting, well tolerated and easily incorporated into daily routine. Bio-Ferra can rapidly replete iron deficiencies and is an ideal supplement to a vegan/vegetarian diet.
Each teaspoon (5 mls) contains:
Iron (polysaccharide complex) ... 20 mg
Adult: Take 1 teaspoon twice daily or as recommended by practitioner.
Iron can be toxic when levels exceed normal limits in the body; therefore, supplementation should be appropriate to need. Toxicity is of particular risk to infants and children due to accidental overdoses. Studies evaluating lethal dose of iron have revealed doses exceeding 5,000 mg/kg have not caused a lethal response whereas doses of around 230 mg/kg have demonstrated lethality in 50% of test subjects with iron salts.
(1) Cooper et al. Iron sufficiency of Canadians. Statistics Canada: Health Reports. 2012 Nov. 23 (4).
(2) Montgomery K.O., Jhaveri, C.R. Process for preparing an iron-saccharide complex. United States Patent 1974;260/209R, 260/209D, 424/361.
(3) Bereman, R.D., Berg, K.A. The structure, size and solution chemistry of a polysaccharide iron complex (niferex). Inorganica Chimica Acta 1989;155, pp. 183-189.
(4) Merriman, T.N. An acute oral toxicity study in rats with polysaccharide iron complex. Springborn Laboratories Life Science Division Study No. 3340.1, 1994;pp. 1-40.
(5) Klein-Schwartz, W. Toxicity of polysaccharide-iron complex exposures reported to poison control centers. The Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2000;34, pp. 165-169.
Disclaimer: This content is subject to change. The information is intended to inform and educate; it does not replace the medical evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a healthcare professional. www.nhpassist.com © 2014 NDAssist Inc. and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.